Monday 12 March 2018

Tempeh and corn loaf with tomato tahini basil sauce

Tempeh has the ability to divide a crowd.  Some hate it, some love it and others are scratching their heads in ignorance.  I don't eat it a lot but it can be brilliant if used well.  One of my favourite tempeh recipes that I made regularly is tempeh and corn soup.  So when I saw a recipe recently for a tempeh and corn loaf, I was curious enough to give it a go.

The recipe needed tweaking because it used tinned corn and was aimed at one person rather than four.  Once I had mixed all the ingredients together it looked more like a scramble than a loaf mixture and I had to give it a good press into the tin.  (Even more than in the photo below.)  However it sliced up pretty well once it was cooked.  (For those who remember my current oven problems, yes my oven worked for that loaf but the saga continues.)

The recipe suggested serving it with a mushroom tahini gravy.  This seemed a bit heavy old school vegan for me.  I love a good home made tomato sauce with any loaf ans saw it as a great opportunity to use some basil from the garden.  In a nod to the recommendation I added tahini.  Tahini adds a lovely richness to a tomato sauce.

The final meal was very good with some leftover fried pizza (yes that is oven problems) and greens.  We had the loaf again a night or two later with rice and greens.  Then on the last night I didn't have enough loaf left so I crumbled the loaf and mixed it with the tomato sauce through some rice and it was very good.

The corn added an interesting texture and flavour to the loaf that is quite unusual and I would highly recommend.  I can't promise it will convert the hardiest tempeh hater but I didn't notice the tempeh too much.  I suspect the loaf might go well in a sandwich.  It would brighten up a celebratory table, especially in spring and is a great alternative with vegies for a roast dinner.

More tempeh recipes:
Pumpkin and kale soup with tempeh crumbles (gf, v)
Tamarind tempeh with noodles (v)
Tempeh and corn soup (gf, v)
Tempeh and pumpkin lasagne (v)  
Watercourse Foods tempeh burger (gf,v)
Will's mini farmhouse pies

Tempeh and corn loaf
Adapted from The Single Vegan by Leah Leneman
Serves 4

300g tempeh
kernels of 2 corn cobs
1 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion
100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
3 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
Seasoning

Simmer slab of tempeh and corn in water and soy sauce in a saucepan for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile fry onions until browned.  Drain tempeh and add to onion mixture and mash with potato masher.  Fry a few minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add breadcrumbs, milk, thyme and season.  Press into a greased and lined loaf tin.  Bake for 30-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.  Leave 5-10 minutes and then turn out onto a plate to serve. 

Serving suggestion: Great with rice and greens and tomato sauce (below).

Tomato tahini basil sauce
an original Green Gourmet Giraffe recipe

1-2 tsp olive oil
1 onion
400g tin diced tomatoes
remains of soy sauce and water mixture
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp tahini
handful of chopped basil

Fry onion in oil until browned.  Add tomatoes, soy sauce mixture, and maple syrup.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickens slightly.  Stir in tahini and basil.  Thin a little with water if desired.

On the Stereo:
Donkeys 92-97 - Tindersticks

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried tempeh but this sounds interesting. Also great that you were able to have it a few nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t mind tempeh at all. Sorry to read of your ongoing oven problems, do hope it gets sorted. The loaf appeals to me, but not so much the sweet corn in it and that’s only because I don’t think I have had sweet corn in a loaf, bit I should try it really - who knows I may like it, may have to try the tempeh and sweet corn soup first😋

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't eaten or cooked with tempeh a lot, but don't mind it, and this loaf and accompanying sauce sounds like my sort of recipe. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a meatless loaf the other day and I really enjoyed it. I'm a bit shy of tempeh, but I think its funky taste and texture would really be suited to a meatloaf. Any word on the oven yet?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)