Monday 16 April 2012

Choc chip muesli slice

I've spent some time recently looking at muesli bar recipes.  In my travels around the web, I have come across some interesting applesauce granola.  Finally I had a chance to try it (though I can't help but call it muesli as I have done all my life). I meddled with the recipe and found it wasn't such a great idea to leave out the brown sugar.  Fortunately I also had a decadent muesli slice recipe to try that could do with some virtuous muesli.

It was a few weeks ago that I made the muesli on a lazy weekend morning.  I don't make muesli often enough.  If I made it more, I would understand how much sweetness I need to make it palatable, I would go through more of the nuts and seeds that hang around in the pantry, but I suspect that Sylvia would not thank me for using up the berry mix that she loves so much.  This applesauce muesli had a lovely toasted texture so I may try it again with a tad more sweetener.

But a barely sweet muesli makes sense in a muesli bar recipe that is chock full of condensed milk and choc chips.  I don't claim that this is health food.  All I will say is that it is a delicious way to eat oats, nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

We all loved the muesli slice.  I was pleased it held together well, even though the middle pieces were quite sticky.  Sylvia made an excellent job of proving that the slice crumbled easily when eaten - in her case that was all over the loungeroom rug!  She did love it when she had a piece, even if not much of it ended up in her mouth.  E said it was much nicer than my usual muesli slices.  I think he particularly loved the choc chips.

For myself, I am pleased that we still have some muesli slice in the house.  It has been a busy month and I love having some to take to work for a satisfying mid morning snack.  The slice is particularly welcome after riding my bike to work, as I found this morning.  I still have a little muesli leftover.  Perhaps I could have it for breakfast tomorrow with some fruit yoghurt!

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Autumn Apple Cake
This time two years ago: PPN Mee Goreng
This time three years ago: Tupperware, Arran and Tomato Soup
This time four years ago: My Daring Darling Dosa

Choc chip muesli slice
Adapted from taste.com.au
Makes about 57 small squares

580g (4 cups) toasted muesli (see below recipe)
1 x 395ml can sweetened condensed milk
230g (1generous cup or 1 pkt) dark choc bits
40g (1/2 cup) dessicated coconut
35g (1/2 cup) Allbran cereal

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.  Tip into a greased and lined lamington tin (9 x 13 inch).  Bake at 180 C for about 30 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown on top.  Mine were still a bit sticky in the middle, and looked a little undercooked on the bottom but I prefer this rather than too crisp around the edges.  Cool in tray and then cut into squares (or bars if you wish) on a large chopping board.  Keeps at least a week in an airtight container.

Applesauce muesli
Adapted from Fake Ginger

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup nuts (I used pecans, walnuts, almonds)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2 tbsp linseeds (flax seeds)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp honey (or other sweetener)
1 tbsp malt syrup (or other sweetener)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup dried fruit (I used dried berries, apricots and apples)

Mix all ingredients (except dried fruit) in a large roasting tin.  Bake at 160 C (300 F) for about45-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until golden brown.  Stir in dried fruit.  Cool in the tin and store in an airtight container.

On the stereo:
Son of Evil Reindeer: Reindeer selection

19 comments:

  1. Looks great! Kind of like flapjack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel - what I call muesli slice always seems quite similar to flapjacks - although flapjack don't seem to have any much fruit and nuts generally

      Delete
  2. I am loving the look and sound of this muesli slice - I can understand why E liked the choc chips too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - who doesn't love choc chips (except my dad and that is just weird)

      Delete
  3. I don't like muesli but I do like muesli bars and like the look of this one very much. I also like raw oats with apple sauce and yoghurt, which makes me think that this is a muesli I could perhaps enjoy. I think if I took most of the ingredients and mixed them up uncooked, I'd be very happy indeed! I imagine this muesli would make great biscuits too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - maybe you could mix the muesli and just bake it a little so it is not really soggy but is not toasted. The you would have the apple flavour without the crispiness! Or just making muesli bars and biscuits with it sounds quite smart!

      Delete
  4. Wow that makes a lot of little muesli squares. They look delicious though. Love how ou used dark chocolate, so its not too sweet. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I love cutting slice into little squares - I feel better about two little pieces than one medium one - and Sylvia only eats small amounts so there is less waste if I give her a piece

      Delete
  5. I want to start making more muesli slices for Mr NQN's lunch and I think he'd really like this one! And hehe I have those cute lil kewpie dolls too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I've been making quite a lot of muesli bars for work snacks and they last quite well - choc chips is a good lure! Sylvia loves the tiny kewpie dolls too :-)

      Delete
  6. I love how healthy this is! and the chocolate just adds that extra appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks food mentalist - healthy with chocolate is the perfect balanced diet isn't it :-)

      Delete
  7. I guess we call them granola bars here...but either way they look delicious! I love that you included chocolate. Majorly good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - the chocolate seems to be very popular!

      Delete
  8. I think chocolate chips in a muesli bar certainly add something extra special. What a great recipe. I'm sure these were absolutely delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - choc chips do just seem to be the icing on the cake, so to speak, here!

      Delete
  9. Oh my condensed milk, those will be good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - everything is great with condensed milk

      Delete
  10. I don't care if you call it granola or muesli--it looks fantastic! I bet it would be stellar with white chocolate, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)